Skip to main content

Requests for Access to Health Records


Please note that this request service is only for hospitals covered by Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board (CTMUHB), i.e. Dewi Sant Hospital, Kier Hardie University Health Park, Prince Charles Hospital, Royal Glamorgan Hospital, Ysbyty Cwm Cynon and Ysbyty Cwm Rhondda, 

Individuals have a legal right to access personal data held on them from any organisation. This is known as a Subject Access Request.

For further information on your rights as a data subject, you can visit the Information Commissioner’s website.

Applying for Access to Health Records

If you wish to access your own health record, a record on behalf of someone else or a person who is deceased, you will need to contact the Medical Records Department. The email address for this department is

If you need to contact the Medical Records Department by telephone, you can call 01443 443233.

Requests for Princess of Wales Hospital, although a part of CTMUHB, are currently being undertaken by Swansea Bay University Health Board. Applications should be directed to:

You will be asked to provide specific details on what records you want to access and there is a form which you may complete and return to the Medical Records Department. You will also need to provide proof of identity and address documents for yourself. If you are applying for access to records on behalf of someone else, then you will also need to provide proof that you are entitled to request access to that information.

Full details on what identification documents are required are noted in the form and can also be confirmed by the Medical Records Department when you submit your request.

If you would like access to records held about you as part of an ongoing concern then please contact the Concerns Team on:

Telephone: 01443 744915, or Email:

You can also visit the Concerns page on the website for more information on raising a concern.

Applying for Access to Records Other Than Health

If you require access to information not contained within your hospital records, you will need to contact the following services:

  • If you require personal information not contained within a health record, such as personnel files, then please phone 01443 744800 and ask for the Information Governance Department.
  • If you require GP Health Records, you will need to contact your GP Surgery directly for a copy of your health records.

Applying for Access to Records for Investigative Purposes

There is a separate process for organisations to apply for access to personal records. This process does not apply to patients or individuals. This procedure only applies to information required to be disclosed by law or in connection with legal proceedings. The form is available on request. Please call 01443 744800 and ask for the Information Governance Team.

Follow us: