Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

raised hands
I am a new arrival to Cwm Taf Morgannwg, what should I do?

If you have arrived in the UK through the Homes for Ukraine sponsorship route, click on the relevant local authority links on our homepage for details on how you will be supported within your local area.

If you have arrived on the Ukraine Family Scheme, visit - Ukraine Family scheme on the UK Government website.

Where can I find information about Healthcare in Cwm Taf Morgannwg?
What information will I need to register with a GP?

On arrival, you should ask for help from your sponsor/support worker/ wellness assessor to find a local GP surgery who can provide for your day to day health care needs. It is important that you register all members of your family with the GP surgery as soon as you can. The GP surgery is open between the hours of 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Friday (but not on public holidays or weekends). By registering with the GP surgery, you will have access to GPs, specialist nurses, midwives and health visitors.

Where can I get help for my child in Cwm Taf Morgannwg?

Information about where to find help for your child in Cwm Taf Morgannwg, including help in relation to enrolling your child in school, this can be found via the Local Authority links on our homepage.

If you have any questions or concerns, speak with your support worker/ wellness assessor- who will be able to help you.

My child needs to get to school but I don't have transport, what support is available?

Refugees from Ukraine can now travel for free on rail services across Wales.

The six-month scheme, for all Transport for Wales rail services, is to help refugees while they are settling in.

Ukrainian nationals will need to show their passport to conductors and station staff to claim free travel.

Where can I get information on vaccinations?

You can find several vaccination leaflets and information guides here - Vaccination leaflets and information for arrivals from Ukraine.

I have arrived in Cwm Taf Morgannwg from Ukraine and struggling with my mental health, what can I do?

If you are suffering from mental health distress, support and information is available here.   

Please let your support worker/ wellness assessor know how you are feeling - they will give you details of all the support services available to you. 

We are here for you.

I am struggling financially, where can I go for help?

We are here for you and help is available.

If you have any concerns about welfare support, click on the relevant Local Authority link on our homepage to see how you can access support and information.

If you have any questions or concerns, speak with your support worker/ wellness assessor- who will be able to help you.

I need help finding work?

All those from Ukraine coming to the country under the scheme will be able to seek and take up employment.

Click on the relevant Local Authority link on our homepage to see how you can access support and information In relation to employment.

Our full range of CTM job centre locations can be found here.

I am professional arriving in Cwm Taf Morgannwg, what should I do?

When you find a job with a UK employer you’ll need to prove your right to work. To use the online service you’ll need to have a BRP or a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account.

You can show your employer the visa in your passport, if your passport has not expired, until you get your BRP.

If you do not have a passport and were given your visa on a form, you’ll need to get your BRP and use the online service.

Can I drive in Cwm Taf Morgannwg?

You can use your Ukrainian driving licence for the first 12 months after you arrive. You’ll then need to exchange it for a British licence.

Check what requirements your vehicle needs to meet in the UK.

I have unanswered questions, where can I go for help?

Rhondda Cynon Taf

Telephone: 01443 425020


Merthyr Tydfil

Telephone: 01685 725000


Telephone: 01656 643643

I need translation and interpretation support, will this be available?

Our Health board is committed to enhancing access to our services for our diverse patient population through professional interpretation and cross-cultural communication. That includes ensuring that an interpreter is provided whenever the need exists to ensure patient safety and consent. 

Our interpretation services support people whose use of the English language may not be proficient enough to easily access our Services, wish to use the Welsh language or another language of choice, or who have hearing and/or visual impairments.

There are several ways to access interpretation services; they can be provided face-to-face, over the phone or via other means like videoconference.   

Please let our staff know of any support you need.

I am blind/partially sighted, is there any support available please?

Royal National Institute of Blind People, together with other leading UK sight loss charities, are offering free help, advice, support and specialist equipment to people arriving from Ukraine who are blind and partially sighted.

This includes:

  • Advice and information
  • Free specialist equipment
  • Access to support services
  • Sight loss awareness e-learning training
  • Support for visually impaired children in accessing education
  • Connection with local sight loss organisations
  • Community connection locally and online

This support is provided by national and local sight loss charities across the UK and can be accessed by calling the sight loss advice helpline on 0303 123 9999 8am-8pm on weekdays and 9am-1pm on Saturdays. An interpretation service is available for anyone who needs it.  

The helpline will ensure callers get the right specialist advice, information, services and support. It will also connect them with other appropriate services and organisations that can help.

Follow us: